Torpedo Bio Evo Tech - compression wear at Kmart

What works for you and where to find it.

Moderators: Em, tiger boy, AusrunAdmin

Torpedo Bio Evo Tech - compression wear at Kmart

Postby deege » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:54 pm

Was in Kmart today and saw they had a range of compression sportswear very much in the mode of Skins type apparel but significantly cheaper. Long tights for both men and women were about $35, half tights about $30 and they also had tops (didn't note the price).

The website is here http://www.torpedo-sport.com/
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.

Plato
deege

Postby newb_runner » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:46 am

Cool ... did you try the gear on? how did it compare to skins/linebreak?

Also were they in the standard menswear/womenswear sections or in a sport section of the store ?
newb_runner

Postby kathrynoh » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:17 am

I just checked out the web site. I want one of their massage chairs!
kathrynoh

Postby deege » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:32 am

At the Kmart I went to (Northland) they were in a display in the sporting goods area (near camping/HRMs/gym equipment). They were in boxes like you see the skins.

I bought a pair of the half tights. Using the BMI indicators on the back of the pack I was between sizes and picked the larger size and they fit fine (though I should have picked the smaller size). They look very similar to skins in the contrast stitching etc. I can't compare to the feel of the other brands as I have never tried them on, though Hub thinks my pair are tighter than his skins.

Plato
deege

Postby Sarge » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:12 pm

This is probably one of those really stupid questions... does compression wear make a huge difference in a typical run? I haven't really run in anything aside from shorts.
Sarge

Postby Em » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:39 pm

Personally it makes a big difference for me in terms of recovery.

I wore skins for my interval sessions the last 2 weeks and the difference in my legs the next day has been huge, in so far as I have woken up feeling much fresher. They also help with recovery after a long run.

For the techo run down have a look at http://www.skins.com.au

I will be a bit of a brand snob though and stick with the skins, I think with something like this you get what you pay for.
"There is a crack, a crack in everything. It's how the light gets in." ~ Leonard Cohen
Em

Postby Chris W » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:46 pm

I might invest in the cheaper version and do a bit of a comparison with the SKINS.

Will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference.
Running just as fast as we can, holding on to one another's hand....
Chris W

Postby newb_runner » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:24 pm

I'm a very amateur runner, and even I've noticed a big difference wearing linebreaks. It helps heaps with my calves, before wearing the tights i would get really achey calves, after getting the linebreaks they feel heaps better both during and after the runs.
newb_runner

Postby Sarge » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:46 pm

Thanks for the info Em. It's got me interested enough to look into this further.

Chris, I'm keen to hear how the comparison goes.
Sarge

Postby crash » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:25 pm

I second all that too,but to throw a spanner in the works, I went to buy a pair of SKINS tights but was told by the shop owner that 2XU's were a lot better buy for the same money. Must say I'm 100 % impressed by them. Both during and after running. Used to use Nike dri-fits and can notice a huge difference.

Cheers Chris
crash

Postby deege » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:50 pm

FWIW I am sure that 2XU or Skins or Linebreak are better than the kmart brand. But I have the problem that my aim is to grow too small for these tights in a short period of time. So I can't justify the expense of the skins etc.

I am wearing the half tights tonight to see if they will aid recovery after a sore leg run. I am sure the others would be better, but I think I might buy a set of cheapo long tights for recovery purposes if nothing else.

Plato
deege

Postby Chris W » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:03 am

Never discount anything Deege.

It's a high possibility that SKINS and 2XU cost more because they put all the research and design into the product and got it perfected. Torpedo have then come along and ripped off the idea completely without the overheads, hence the cheaper price.

It is very much like the iPod vs other MP3 player debate. iPod perfected and marketed what is a very good product, then Creative and the like produce cheaper versions that are as good and some are better at a cheaper price.
Chris W

Postby kathrynoh » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:44 am

I'm with you, Deege. No way can I justify buying a pair of skins that will (hopefully) not fit for long. I've just got to get to Northland now cos I doubt the KMart near me would have them - they are the worst KMart ever.
kathrynoh

Postby deege » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:29 am

Well I wore my half tights last night after a really grotty run where I had aching legs. My legs feel good this morning so I will chalk that up as a win for the half tights. Might go back this weekend and get a pair of full tights to use for recovery purposes.

Plato
deege

Postby boycey » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:57 pm

I'm getting back in to running (as you can tell im new here) and was thinking about Skins but now I know Kmart have something like them I might have to have a look.
boycey

Postby running sweetlee » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:51 pm

Kathryn, K-Mart at Northland do have them as I was checking them out the other day when deege told me where to find them. They are at the end of the camping aisle at the centre if that makes sense. They are in boxes like the skins, purple and black.

They look like skins, black with yellow stitching, the fabric felt good but the only thing that put me off was the shape of the stitching in the crotch area :oops: . Now I know this is going to sound ridiculous but I think I would feel self conscious of it :lol:. I may still go back but I just don't know :? . Lee
If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else.
running sweetlee

Postby newb_runner » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:26 pm

I bought a pair of the half-tights today. my local kmart didn't have stock of the male long tights, only the female. I've tried them on, and they don't have the same level of compression as my linebreaks, but for half the price, are pretty good. I got L which is the same as my LB's, but I might try a set of M and see if they're any better on me.
newb_runner

Postby ajh » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:36 pm

I tried on the short sleeve and sleeveless tops today - they don't seem to have anywhere near the compression of my Skins - but as they say - you get what you pay for. I really wanted the short tights, but they didn't have any of them at my Kmart.
ajh

Postby boycey » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:54 pm

Only tops in stock at my local kmart. (Frankston)
boycey

Postby kathrynoh » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:40 pm

I got a pair of the short tights at Northland KMart tonight. They sure aren't flattering! I ended up getting the smalls because I was borderline btw small and medium but they are still rather loose in the legs.

I see what you mean about the stitching, Lee. Also the front seems to be see through!

I do like the little bag you get with them though.

Am meeting a friend for a run at Albert Park in the morning so will test them out (hopefully the sight of my lilly white legs in the tights will scare off the scary birdlife). I think I'll take something to throw over them in case we decide to go for a coffee afterwards.
kathrynoh

Postby newb_runner » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:47 pm

They definately don't have the same level of compression as the Skins/Linebreak ... but are better than the old lycra pants. Hopefully going down a size will help.
newb_runner

Postby boycey » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:28 pm

think ill go the skins, doesn't seem like anything else can do the job.
boycey

Postby newb_runner » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:05 am

In my opinion Linebreak are just as good as skins, and about $40 cheaper for the full tights. I tried both on and noticed very little difference. Maybe running in them there's more difference, but $40 worth ?

I think these kmart ones will be excellent for when the Skins/LBs are in the wash, but certainly not a replacement for them.
newb_runner

Postby Chris W » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:37 am

Well I got out voted and the other half gets the long tights.

As has been mentioned the sizing seems a bit different, so you should go down a size on the Torpedo's than you would get in the SKINS.

Feedback from the long tights is that they are comfortable, and also they seem to work well on first inspection. Reports of very low levels of muscle tiredness, and legs feeling pretty fresh.

They were worn post exercise for several hours.
Chris W

Postby deege » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:51 am

I wore the long tights yesterday after my "long" run and experienced none of the ordinary stiffness that I often have particularly when I sit in one place.

Plato
deege

Next

Return to Running Gear